Mainframe Development Team Leader
Model9 is looking for a Mainframe development team leader with a passion for modernization alongside appreciation for the Mainframe ecosystem. If the challenges of handling data at scale, connecting previously siloed technologies, and doing it all while maintaining high performance standards sounds exciting to you, we want to hear from you.
Backed by world-class investors like Intel Capital, Model9 is a hyper-growth startup working with the largest companies in the world to drive DataOps innovation by liberating previously inaccessible petabytes of data and moving it to the cloud for analytics, AI, and machine learning.
As a leader in our growing R&D group, this is a high-impact role with huge influence on the product and development cycle, as well as the culture and organization of our R&D team. You will shape the design of the system, set standards for quality and delivery, and engage with customers to find creative solutions to problems.
Our system consists of on-premise agents running in z/OS written in both Java and HLASM, employing hooks, SVC frontending and authorized system services, connected to enterprise storage units, working with multi-cloud data management API & web services. The product uses the latest innovations in z/OS and Z15 technologies such as zIIPs, 64-bit programming, XCF services, z/OS container extension (zCX), TCP/IP, compression, and encryption services.
- Leading a team of Mainframe developers, QA, and automation experts
- Tech design, plan, implement, and test new features, including hands-on programming
- Set standards for code quality, testing, automation, and performance
- Working closely with the Product team to align on acceptance criterias
- Taking responsibility for new feature releases
- Integration with other R&D teams
- Mentor team members
- Prioritize based on risk, timelines, and quality
- 6 years or more of experience as software team leader in a software company
- 4 years or more of hands-on experience developing z/OS system-level software in HLASM running in product at enterprise companies
- 4 years or more of experience leading a team of z/OS system software developers
- Understanding of system-level software development including 64-bit, authorized system services, macros, SVCs, front-ending system code, hooks, exits, cross-memory, XCF, DFSMS services, catalog, data set and I/O services and internals
- BSc in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent
- Leadership skills to coach up and mentor team members
- Proven experience in software architecture and design considerations
- Excellent English communication skills
- Great collaboration skills
- Problem-solving and diagnostic skills working with dumps, system traces, GTF, IPCS, Component Trace, etc.
- Know how to balance between timelines, quality, and human considerations
- Experience with Agile development methodologies
- Hands on experience programming in Java – major advantage
- Experience with CI/CD and DevOps best practices and tools (such as Terraform, Docker, Jenkins, JMH, Ansible)
- Experience developing and supporting enterprise software in a 24/7 production environment
This position can be remote.